Wednesday

Sweet Home Albania

Peace Corps Placement: Albania
Community & Organization Development Facilitator

Orientation Dates: March 14-15, 2011

Pre-Service Traning: March 16-May 27th, 2011


Dates of Service: May 28, 2011-May 27, 2013


(The Albanian flag, indicates the overall background is Red with
a black two-headed eagle in the center. Albania means Land of the Eagles)

So I received my placement New Years Eve day for Albania. Needless to say I had two things to celebrate that night. What a wonderful way to bring in the new year!

From the literature I've read so far I have gathered that in Albania women are still repressed and are not allowed to do most things that the men in their community do. I've been bombarded with packets, applications and tons of other paper work to do before my departure. We will spend our first three weeks in the capital of Albania, Tirana, where we will undergo extensive training on the culture and our position in as a PCV in our specific communities. This will be the only time that all members of the Peace Corps of Albania will be together until the end of the service. We will stay with host families these three weeks then it's up to us if we stay with host families or live alone when we are sent to our communities.

(Tirana, Albania's capital, photo taken by previous PCV)

(A town in Albania, photo taken by previous PCV)


So what does this all mean for me? It means I have tons of planning and paperwork to do before I go. My official position title is "Community and Organization Development Facilitator." This could range from teaching natives their way around computers, helping at the community center with organization, community involvement, etc. The weather could be hot or cold, depending on what part of the country I go to. I have tons of things to get and think about! Did I mention it's nestled in between Greece, the Adriatic Sea and Italy? Here it is on a map.


I could be placed anywhere from a city, small town or a remote village. Depending on where I am placed will let me know about my accessibility to the internet, etc. From the literature I have read so far I will be issued a cell phone but minutes will be limited. I plan on keeping up this blog the entire time I'm away, so if you haven't heard from me in a while or are looking for a way to contact me, looking here would probably be the best bet.