Sunday

But it's pushime!..

One thing that I think Europe claims superiority over America is summer vacation. It isn't atypical to take a month or two for vacation time! Now in Albania, where work flow is typically slow, it is almost non existant during the summer months. Last year I spent most of the summer in my community, meeting people and making work relationships in my town. This summer, I have adopted this Pushime (vacation) month in August and have been enjoying myself, as well as getting a little work done here and there. I think one of the unique things that the Peace Corps offers you is the opportunity to learn almost everything there is to know about your host country. I feel pretty confident, after a year and a half of living here that I have a firm grasp on Albania as a people, where they've come from and the geography of the country. There are however a lot of places I have not traveled and whether it's because it's a 15 hour bus ride that defers me or not, I haven't decided yet.

We just finished our Mid-Service Conference in Tirana where the 45 Americans left in country that I came here with in March 2011 came together, reflected and planned for what we want to have accomplished before we start to go home next spring. As I've said before, opening a site like I have done with my two sitemates, there usually isn't that much pressure to really accomplish anything to big, except making relationships and paving the way for the next Volunteers. I think that the "Bajram Curri Kids" as we've been deemed, have done nothing but break down these low expectations and have have had some huge accomplishments, even though they didn't seem like it at the time. I think just being in your community has so much to do with your successes with work because I think the people that are motivated and want to work and see change will find you if you don't find them first.

So as I spent most of my last summer in my community, hosting huge groups of Volunteers traveling up north to do the most beautiful hike in the country, and meeting people in my community, this summer I've decided to branch out for myself and adopt the "pushim" mentality. With almost everyone in my office practicing this "pushim mentality" and not having anything going on in my host agency, I don't think I should be punished. I don't have any huge projects planned for this next year but I know that if I just put myself out there and make myself available like I have been, something will inevitably fall into my lap. Besides, when am I ever in my adult life going to get vacation leniency like I am now. Probably never again.

I made the realization that I haven't been in an English speaking country in over a year and a half which is pretty amazing and daunting all at the same time, especially with my upcoming trip to America for a few weeks. Being able to understand the table beside of me at a coffee stop usually tips off that I'm sitting beside some foreigners.