Sunday

Margaret's wedding, gone viral...





I knew when I designed these invitations, that I wouldn't be able to go. I had been planning on going to the Peace Corps and it wasn't far enough into my service to consider coming home. I knew when I made the save-the-dates I wouldn't be able to save the date with intentions of seeing one of my dearest friends on her big day. Little did I know, technology would save the day.

Coming into the Peace Corps I had no idea what to expect when it came to internet access. I'm lucky enough to have the internet in my apartment that is actually pretty reliable and fast. I was able to go to Margaret's wedding, almost 5000 miles away through the holy powers of Skype.

The ceremony was beautiful and everything Margaret deserved. I've only been to four weddings in my life (including this one): two of them have been Catholic, one Albanian and one when I was really young. The church was breath taking and all my friends looked gorgeous! I tried to clean up as much as I could after a 7 hour furgon ride back from Tirane for the weekend, but it's probably a good thing I didn't have to hug anyone because I didn't get a chance to take a shower.


I attended the reception and shared drinks with my friends and teammates, they were drinking Bud Light as I was drinking wine from Berat. If I focused in on my computer screen, it actually felt like I was at the table with them. I realize that the one thing I miss the most from America is the people. Them sitting around the table and me being passed around on the Ipad really made me realize how much I miss my friends and family from back home and love them for going out of their way and including me in Margaret's wedding.