Friday

Holiday season complete..

After spending the holidays in countries other than Albania, it's taken a little time to get readjusted to things here. My Christmas package from my mom finally arrived to Albania and I got to open my individually, carefully wrapped presents while I was on the phone with her, not ideal but still meaningful. Goodies such as bacon and sun dried tomato spread, Grinch PJs, pre-made margarita mix, peppermint chocolate and grey tea were all great additions to my apartment here.

The holidays weren't as hard as I thought they would be, being away from home, but it never truly did feel like Christmas. No waiting in lines for hours buying ingredients for Christmas meals, no holiday traffic, no stress about seeing long distance family members... huh, yeah didn't really miss any of that. Christmas this year was probably the most relaxing holiday season I've had since the magic of Santa and being the youngest in the family was in the mix.

I got to watch my top three favorite Christmas movies: Home Alone, A Christmas Story and Elf. I ate some of the most delicious food I've ever tasted, and although it was 'traditional' Christmas food for me, I did get some mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC in the airport. I spent Christmas eve around a dinner table in a hostel, filed with traditional Hungarian Christmas food: fish soup and potato casserole with sausages and cheeses. I was joined at the table with a couple from Sylvania, a Brazilian guy studying abroad in Germany, two couples from China, a few Hungarians and my fellow American traveler. What was truly amazing is that we were all communicating speaking English and the only two people who's native language that was was the two Americans, the rest were speaking it as their second or third language.

Christmas day Kim and I went on a Danube Boat Cruise for lunch and got to view the city of Budapest from the river as we dined on an extravagant buffet of delicious foods. The day after Christmas we went to see the Nutcracker preformed at the Hungarian State Opera House.

New Years Eve we spent with Peace Corps Volunteers in Bulgaria in the capital, Sofia. We went to an outdoor concert and brought in the new year there then went to a huge downstairs club. My new favorite thing, mulled wine. Maybe next NYE I won't stay out until 6:30am the next morning, but it was nice to have McDonalds for lunch that day. I've been in country for almost 10 months now, which rounds up to a year.. which is nuts. These feet of mine haven't touched American soil in almost a year.