Thursday

Peppers for you, peppers for me.


After swearing-in in Elbasan my host mom and dad helped me unpack my bags out of the trunk of their car as we said our goodbyes. There was one bag in the car I didn’t recognize as mine and just as I was about to claim it was theirs they handed me the bag and it was filled to the top with specs from their farm!

I had no idea what I was going to do with all these peppers and so I began handing them out as snacks to other volunteers. After that I still had about 50 peppers. I took them up to Bajram Curri with me and today, week 2, I have just finished all of my peppers. I am SO glad they gave me them because I have been able to cook so pretty good stuff with those peppers. Sautéed peppers has been my lunch many of times and it’s helped me save up some grocery money from this month. I bought some peppers last night in the market… but they’re just not the same as my host families. They called me yesterday during lunch to see how everything was going in Bajram Curri and my conversation with a little like the blog post before but it was so good to hear from them though. 

The first meal I cooked in my apartment, specs in the sauce.