Tuesday

So that's how Santa does it..

So, after living in Albania for 9 months, there's of course a lot of things that I miss about America. Turkey sandwiches, driving my car, centralized heating, I mean I could go on. But one thing that I never even liked and never thought I'd miss from America is tacky Christmas decorations, as well as American flag memorabilia. Every time the fourth of July rolled around I would always cringe at the thought about people walking around with American flag's on their sweaters, in their yards and all over their cars. Christmas decorations too, but you're talking to a girl that now freaks out when someone is wearing a New York Yankees baseball cap (happened today on the way to work). But now, that I'm living in a third world country, that is mostly Muslim. Now ever little hint of Christmas that I see I just want take a while and enjoy it, stare at it, marval it. The only Christmas decorations I have seen in Bajram Curri have been at the hotel and my first floor neighbors have a semi-wreath on their door.

Not to say I never decorated before, it's actually one of my favorite things about the holidays, but I always tried to keep it classy and less traditional I guess (always got to keep it classy). But I guess it's only natural that getting into the Christmas spirit is hard living here and not being around my friends and family in America but I've really come to love the little fat Santa sitting in the front of a business or the sparkle paper that spells out "Gezuar vitin i ri" which means Happy New Year. I leave for my trip in a little over a week and I hear there's an awesome Christmas market there. I got some tree lights (even though I'm ska tree) from Tirane for only 50L (50 cents) and duct taped them around my apartment. I also got two Santa hats that say "Gezuar Vitin e ri" because Albanian's actually believe that's when Santa comes, on New Years Eve instead of Christmas.. maybe that's how he does it...