Monday

The life of a Durres Princess..


Well, a week and a half later, the Peace Corps still hasn’t lifted the ‘stand-fast’ action for all Peace Corps Volunteers in country, basically prohibiting us from traveling from outside of our sites. Since I was out of my community, in Elbasan for the Outdoor Ambassadors Conference when this was issued I’ve had to find somewhere to stay, south of Tirane, until this is lifted.

I spent Valentines Day in Corovode hanging out and editing film for the documentary.  Ever since I have been in Durres with my dear friend Kim. Now let me tell you a little about Durres for those who are familiar with it. It’s the second largest city in Albania, located on the coast of the Adriatic City and very much the complete opposite of where I’m living now.

Since being in Durres I’ve experienced things that I haven’t been able to in my home in a long time: a western toilet, hot water, running water 24/7 and above freezing temperatures inside. Since Kim does have these luxuries, me and my sitemates have deemed her ‘the Durres Princess,’ and call her that pretty much every chance we get.

Then the question comes to my mind, am I becoming a Durres Princess myself? I’ve lived comfortably, on Kim’s couch for over a week now. I’ve enjoyed choosing which super market we were going to by groceries from, I’ve indulged in produce that has been imported from neighboring Italy (two of my favorites, eggplant and kiwi are both out of season). We can go to a coffee place and not be the only women or the center of attention because people in Durres are more used to foreigners. Since Durres is a large city, the ‘fame’ that I experience in my community every time I walk out of the door doesn’t exist, she can literally leave her house for the day and come back and not have seen a soul that she knows. Durres is also a more progressive community where as Bajram Curri is more traditional and conservative.

This, once again, brings me back to the oh so ever cliche but true phrase “everyone’s Peace Corps experience is different.” This sentence is probably one of the only things that has held true to me this entire time. Although she enjoys these modern day conveniences she doesn’t have that since of community that most expect when joining the Peace Corps. Although she has what some days I yearn for I realize that some days she wishes she had what I do with a small community.

I haven’t been given any solid information on when I’ll be able to go back home but for now I’m trying to enjoy the hot showers and food selections as much as possible; oh, also the company! Since when I am at home most of my day is spent alone, it’s kind of nice to have someone to hang out with all day. Word from Bajram Curri says the snow is melting, ever so slowly, and the temperature is just on the brink of not being below freezing. 

Sunset over the bay in Durres..