Monday

Water reserves on deck..

So.. since my last post about snow, it hasn't stopped snowing. We now have over a meter of snow and Bajram Curri has turned into a life sized ant farm with paved out pathways to stores and bars with walls of over three feet of snow locking you into the paths. 

School has been cancelled until further notice, there is no public transportation in or out of the town and I haven't had water for almost 5 days. Which has led me to using my reserve of water that my landlady made me fill up this summer and has been sitting in my bathroom since then. So glad I didn't ask questions and just listened to her because it's the only thing washing my dishes and helping me cook. I have no idea when I'll get water next or if my pipes are frozen or not.. It's kind of hard to tell anything but I do know now that the 'it's summer and that's why we don't have a lot of water' answer is now proven false. We haven't been losing power as much as I would expect with this much so, but I don't want to speak too soon.

We went on a walk yesterday and it was beautiful, I wanted to enjoy the snow before it got mushy. It's going to be around for a while because the forecast reads nothing but negative degrees celsius. The town does have a somewhat eery feeling though because it's so quite and a lot of people are just staying inside all day.

I've heard from a lot of people that this is the most snow that they've had in years. People are scraping off the snow from tops of buildings so they don't cave in, cars are completely covered in snow and look like hills.. this is the most snow I've ever seen in my life and I don't hate it. 

I know the first thing people worry about in the states with winter weather is getting food and losing power.. since I walk to get my food and lose power a lot anyways, it makes it way different. It's hard to run out of bread when there's 5 places in town that make their own bread or chickens that lay the eggs in the villages around us.