Tuesday

Every Donor is a Hero..

One day last week I walked into work just like any other day; having no idea what to expect. I pass an ambulance parked beside of the Bashkia, didn't think anything about it, and proceeded to the third floor where my office is. Everyone was gathered outside of the conference room so of course I walk up to see what all the fuss is about. The Red Cross from Tirana was in Tropoje that day to gather blood donations as a part of their initiative of helping the children's hospital in the capital.

This put my office in an uproar. Everyone came up with a reason why they couldn't donate blood, some legitimate, others obviously were just scared of needles. I had heard other Volunteers stories of donating blood, mostly health Volunteers, saying they were the only ones that donated all day, etc. One of my coworkers thought it would be funny to push me to the front to go first, little did he know I was about to surprise them all be actually being willing and excited about donating blood.

This was my ploy to try and convence others to do it with me as well. I told them I had given blood in America before (not true) and that it's really not a big deal at all, they could even watch me! After the paper work was filled out, and really impressing the nurses that I could read Albanian, the next thing I know I'm laying on a cot in the office, draining blood with about 10 of my coworkers watching. Unfortunately none of them decided it was in their best interest to follow suite but at least I tried. The nurses were very professional, clean and excited to have any donors. They told me to rest, not to do any physical activity all day, gave me a sweet cake and pear juice and I even got a T-shirt. They have quite a brilliant marketing plan in my opinion, saying "every donor is a hero." The idea of donating blood is still a little outlandish here though. Avash avash.