Tuesday

What are you running from?

For the past 12 years of my life I've identified myself as a student-athlete. At least 3-4 hours of my day was dedicated to working out or having basketball practice. I knew when I graduated college and didn't have that aspect of my life anymore it was going to be a little difficult at first but I started volunteering as a coach at the YMCA and playing rec league games with people my age to fill the void.

I remember during my phone interview with the Peace Corps the interviewer asked me "what sort of hobbies will you have a site that are not only mentally but physically stimulating." Of course my answer was something to the effect of "I'd just go on a run or take a walk." She quickly responded with "what if it's taboo for women to exercise in public or be alone at all in public." Stunned, I made up some diplomatic answer and somehow dodged the answer.

There is a paved road on the way from Bajram Curri to Valbona, about 2.5 kilometers long that is perfect for running or taking a nice walk. I think last summer we deemed it the "running road" and that's what it's been called ever since. After running 2-3 times a week during the spring and summer seasons I've configured a almost full proof plan of avoiding the main traffic from the morning, afternoon and evening hours. From the hours of 2-6pm is what we like to call 'pushime hours' or for the more Spanish friendly person, siesta. I remember when living in Mexico the cities and towns would literally become empty, stores would close and you better not need anything during those hours. It's similar to that here and I think in a lot of countries.

Anyways, the perfect time to go running is from 3:00-4:00pm. This gives you minimal traffic from the villagers commuting in and out of town, therefor lowers your percentages of questionable looks and stopping and talking to explain exactly why you're running. "What are you running from?" "Are you OK?" "Are you tired?" "Come help me with work, then you'll be tired." "Where are you going," are questions, all from each person you pass. Then some people just stare. I used to prefer that, instead of the questioning. But now, I just ask them how they're doing and state that I'm tired and you can see their face go from this questioning, lost look to pure happiness that I've acknowledged them and their curiosity.

Last year it would make me really self conscious and almost made me not want to go at all.. But that's before I found this fool proof formula. And I don't blame them for being curious. I then imagine how many people would stare in America if someone in traditional Albanian dress was just walking down the street. I also think it goes back to the collectivist society, which Albania is, compared to the individualist society that America is the epitome of. Everyone wants to be in the know at all times about what everyone else is doing. It can be mistaken as being nosey but it's just a general concern about the other person, in most cases, but some cases it is just being nosey.