Sunday

Meet Nënë...


I remember the first time I met her... I couldn't understand a word that came out of her mouth because her dialect was so strong and all I could picture was a little bird coo-ing on a branch of a tree. Now we're the best of friends and I consider her to be one of my Albanian grandma's (I have three: my host-family grandma, Ishe who owns the best restaurant in Bajram Curri and her). On my way to work if I pass her washing the halls she'll swoop me into her house and feed me. She's taught me how to make two traditional Albanian meals, byrek and fli. She scolds me when I wear pants and tells me girls should only wear skirts and dresses. We sit on Eric's stoop and talk, well not really about anything and make noises and faces at each other. She is the light to this apartment and I love her. She lives with one of her sons and his wife and three children, which is typical in Albania. She's a very hard working lady and gets things done around here.