Thursday

26 letters vs. 36 letters


Unlike the English alphabet with 26 letters, the Albanain alphabet has 26 36 letters!
The Albanian alphabet is based on the Latin alphabet.


Here's some links to some Albanian proverbs I found on the web..


Here's some useful phrases in Albanian..
EnglishShqip (Albanian)
WelcomeMirë se vjen
HelloC'kemi, Tungjatjeta
How are you?
I'm fine
Si jeni?
Mirë
Long time no seeKa një kohë të gjatë ku s'jemi parë
What's your name?
My name is ...
Si te quajnë? (inf) Si ju quajnë? (frm)
Mua më quajnë ...
Where are you from?
I'm from ...
Nga jeni? (frm) Nga je? (inf)
Unë jam nga ...
Pleased to meet youGezohem qe te takova
Good morningMirëmëngjes
Good afternoonMirëdita
Good eveningMirëmbrëma
Good nightNatën e mirë
GoodbyePacim, Mirupafshim, Shihemi më vonë (see you later)
Good luckPaç fat!
Cheers/Good health!Gëzuar! Gezuaror! Shëndeti tuaj!
Have a nice dayDitën e mirë!
Bon appetitT'boftë mire!
Bon voyageRrugë të mbarë (Tosk) Udhë të mbarë (Gheg)
I don't understandNuk kuptoj
Please speak more slowlyMund të flasësh pak më ngadalë, ju lutem? (frm)
Mund të flasësh pak më ngadalë, të lutem? (inf)
Please say that againJu lutem, më thuaj edhe një herë
Please write it downMund ta shkruash ju lutem? (frm)
Mund ta shkruash të lutem? (inf)
Do you speak Albanian?


Yes, a little
A flisni Shqip?
Po, pak
Excuse me/SorryMë fal!
How much is this?Sa kushton ajo?
Thank you
Response
Faleminderit / Falemenderit shumë
Ju lutem
Where's the toilet?Ku është banjoja?
Will you dance with me?A doni të vallzoni?
I love youTë dua
Get well soonShërim të shpejtë!
Leave me alone!Lëmë rehat!
Help!
Fire!
Stop!
Ndihmë!
Zjarr!
Ndalo!
Call the police!Thirrni policinë!
Click here for the source.


Now since the only language I have studied in school has been Spanish some of the letters in the language I have never seen before but I found out so far that a lot of the structure as far as female/male possessive verbs are the same.


For training we are told to bring notecards because they cannot be found in Albania and are very helpful during the language training... just like studying in school.