Saturday

Keeping Shqip real..

Kip explaining the local drink, Raki.
I had my PST interview with the director of C.O.D. during lunch and think it went really well. They asked me what I expected out of my position and I think that I would be very beneficial to the tourism industry here because of my marketing and graphic design background. I showed the two interviewers some of my graphic design work and they seemed very impressed by my trade. They kept telling me what a need there was everywhere in the country for my skills and even mentioned a possible site placement somewhere that a PCV has never been before.  They also mentioned that I might be placed with two other site mates that were from TEFL and Health so that would be interesting to be with PCV’s of a different division. Over all I think the initial interview went very well and that they were impressed with my previous work, which was one relief of many anxieties I’ve been having since I’ve been here.

Kip, Casey and Mayaan in the Univers Hotel.

Six current PCV’s came to the hotel today to answer any questions that we had has trainees, which was very helpful. They had 2 from each division here and one from each group currently serving in Albania. I was relieved when the women serving said that the only occurrence of harassment they had received was minimal to none (cat calling, etc.) at all at their sites. Two of the three women on panel lived alone and said they felt safer at their apartment in Albania than in the U.S. This was one of my biggest concerns coming in after learning about all the differences in gender roles in Albania but it eased my mind listening to the current women volunteers.

  
The Univers Hotel.

Language training was even more difficult today than yesterday as we learned food names and beverage names.  We even started to form small sentences. It’s so strange because no matter how hard I try to not revert back to Spanish, somehow my mind still does. Instead of asking “and you” in Albanian, pronounced “po yew,” the first thing that pops into my head is “y tu” in Spanish. I think with time this will dwindle but right now that’s the most difficult thing I’m dealing with as far as language learning goes. A lot of Albanian words sound German to me, very harsh sounding letters and words.

 1000 new leke = about 10 US Dollars
 
We had our last meal all together tonight and I got to talk to some people that will be staying in Bishqem with me. I hear that the site is a medium sized town and does not have internet access. I’m very anxious to meet my host family but just as excited as I am anxious. I know the language barrier will be an issue at first but I cannot wait until we can all communicate effectively with words and not just gestures.

John and I drinking our Albanian beer and studying.

I feel like I’m really bonding with some of my fellow trainees. Don’t get me wrong, everyone is amazing but it’s only natural to form smaller groups within a group of 41 people. I’m still trying to get everyone’s name down but I can probably tell you about 85% of peoples names, about 60% of where people are from in the states and about 50% of what division they’re serving in as a PCV or PST right now.
Our study group trying to learn Shqipe.

John and I walked to the store tonight and I bought some detergent because I read that we were responsible for washing our own clothes at the host families’ homes. They said that it is a Peace Corps requirement that each host family provides a room with furniture and a lock on the door. I guess it’s the more ‘not knowing’ aspect right now than anything that is making me a bit anxious about tomorrow. Since we’ve been in Albania we have truly been inside the walls of the hotel or about 20 blocks into Elbasan. It almost doesn’t even feel real to me that I’m here yet, it hasn’t sunk in that this is real. I think for the most part I’ve been running on auto-pilot since I’ve been here and once I get to the host family and the pace of life slows down (well sort of) it will finally sink in that I’m actually in Europe. I say sort of because although we will be experiencing more relaxation in our living situations we still have a booked schedule with language classes, hub visits.. and the list goes on. Every volunteer that spoke today said that training was the hardest experience overall. Great. If I make it through this at least I know I’m semi, borderline prepared for what’s next.

Sean (Durham NC, Duke), Casey (Streator IL, University of Illinois), Kip (San Antonio TX, Texas A&M and Brenna.