Thursday

Gati!

The overview of Pajove on top of a mountain

“Gati” means ‘ready’ in Shqipe so playing ultimate Frisbee today with the locals we learned some knew words to add to our vocabulary. I’ve never been in an environment where it’s so much applied learning. I remember sitting in Spanish class wondering if I went somewhere where the native language was Spanish would I ever really use what I was learning. Well here the answer is a huge po! or yes in English (Anglist). Things that we learn in class I talk to people on the way home about or at the dinner table with my host family. Tonight I asked my sister to tell me the reciepe to what we were eating, “Mish me patate” for my homework assignment. It was all going smoothly until I looked up the word “lemer” she had written down in the directions and it translated in the dictionary as “threashing ground.” I explained to her I was pretty sure the translation was wrong and we both laughed until we cried. Of course everyone else in the room had no idea what was funny but I’m pretty sure in the preparation of any meal you wouldn’t use the phrase “threashing ground.”


Playing ultimate frisbee behind the school in Pajove.