Wednesday

Mother Teresa Airport in 7 days

Packing for 2 years I have found is just as easy as it sounds.. which isn't easy at all. I'm trying to downsize what I have in general so it makes it easier to pack what I truly need and not what I want to bring because I might, maybe need it at some point within the course of two years. It's kind of hard to plan so far in advance but right now my motto for packing is less is more.. well at least that's what I'm telling myself. I just received what I think is my last paper work from the Peace Corps (click here to look at journals from PCV's already in Albania).. a welcoming brochure on some details that should help us during our transition to living in Albania. We've been told that we won't be able to contact anyone back home for probably the first few days maybe even the first week (so I'm trying to give as much information as possible now) be cause of our busy schedule that is planned and trying to get accustomed to our jet lag and our new home for the next two years. They told us that it is not uncommon for our luggage to be lost or delayed 2-3 days after we arrive in Albania. Once we fly into Tirana into the Mother Teresa Airport (that's right, for all you that didn't know, Mother Teresa is an Albanian native) there will be a 2 and a half hour ride to Elbasan which is considered the hub for our community based training for the first three months. The first three days will be spent at the Hotel 'Univers'. Orientation will consist of policies and procedures, medical issues, language classes (click here to listen to some common phrases in Albanian), technical training introduction and host family/cultural orientation. We will receive cellphones at orientation but there is limited time for us during orientation to use them or find an internet cafe. Saturday afternoon we will travel to our host families in one of the 6 satellite training communities. We will be giving up many comforts that we have in the U.S. and we will be adapting to the host families as much as they are adapting to having a foreigner in their home. "You'll be greeted based on how you look. You'll be seen off based on what you talk," is a famous Albanian saying that was printed on the top of our literature. We will be starting our two years off by living with a host family for the first three months during our training in Elbasan and then depending on where we are placed for the next 2 years depends on our living situations from then on. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little bit nervous. I'm about to embark on a journey that will undoubtabley change my life. Being just a little bit nervous I guess is a little normal. Today I went to eat with my mom and we spent about 3 hours in Borders after wards. I bought a book to teach me how to do more origami pieces since I have been strongly advised to bring things that I can do to pass my free time. When I went to Japan, for part of the class I was in that went along with the Study Abroad program, each student had to make 100+ paper cranes to donate 1000 paper cranes for peace to the Hiroshima Memorial site when we visited where the A-bomb was dropped. I realized then I didn't hate making paper objects and I think it's time for a shout out to my 6th grade teacher Mrs. Guthrie for first teaching me how to make a paper frog. But.. consider this a disclaimer for maybe not hearing from me for a week or so once I get to Albania. Also, when I leave on March 14th to go to DC I will be in the states for another night, however I will not have my cell phone because I will be cutting it off before I leave. Once again, don't say I didn't tell you. Now that I've procrastinated even more on packing by informing everyone about my most recent updates.. I shall call it a night at start again tomorrow.