Tuesday

Avash, avash. (Slowly, slowly).

That’s how my Shqip is going right now, slowly. Our teacher this morning kept telling us ‘avash, avash’ and not to get frustrated because it is only our third day learning Shqipe. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed but I guess that’s all part of the culture shock I’m experiencing because I still feel like this isn’t real life most of the time I’m awake. I mean... I feel like I’m in West Virginia or something… not Albania (Shqiperia (SHQEP-ER-EE-A).

Today was our first day of classes in the Bishqem 9-year-old school. Our classroom is basically a closet and there are four trainees and a teacher in said closet for 4-5 hours a day. But honestly I can’t complain because since it’s so small we keep it warm throughout the day. Oh and all the kids pressing their faces up against our window during their recess do too, they’re quite the distraction but I don’t hate it, they’re so cute. Everyone was quite interested in the Amerikan’s at the school today. My host sister that I walked with to school even knocked on the door during our class to show me to a few of her friends. She was very proud to ‘have me’ as we walked the 30-minute walk to school together with about 4 of her cousins.

Tonight we had cos (COAS) (yogurt (but not like the yogurt you’re thinking of, it was more like queso from the Mexican restaurants)) and lamb. The bad part about being served first was that I had no idea how to eat it. We also watched a French Soap Opera, which is apparently very big in this house (Big Brother is not but is in most other homes I’ve heard). Have you ever tried watching a Soap Opera in French with Shqipe subtitles? Not the easiest thing I’ve ever done but I still managed to know that Kristol was a bad…bad man.

Oh, and apparently the roosters (Gjel (GTH-EL)) in Europe didn’t get the memo that they’re only supposed to crow in the mornings because it’s a 24-hour a day thing here in Bishqem. It seriously sounds like someone pushed a button and the perfect rooster noise comes out. But I can’t complain, one of the other trainee’s has a bedroom right on top of where the cow (Lopa (LOW-PAH)) sleeps. I would choose a cock-a-doodle-doo over a merrrrrrrh any day.

Everyone here is very hospitable to the Amerikans that are sprinkled about Bishqem and Payov. People have been buying our coffees, trying to offer us rides on motorcycles (one way trip home from the PC incase you’re wondering) and just overall being extremely welcoming. I’m right in the middle of Payov and Bishqem so it’s almost like I’m a part of two sites. Ian, Melia, Alex and myself are in Bishqem, Laurie is in Bishqem (the house down from mine) but goes to school in Payov with another Alex, Lenay and Corey. It’s already really interesting to see the differences in the experiences that the males are having compared to the females.

Tomorrow we go back to Elbasan for our first “hub-day.” Elbasan is going to be looking pretty big compared to where everyone has been the past three days. I forget how long I’ve been here.. and that other things are happening in the world. I’m getting NCAA basketball bracket updates from Lanner via email just to realize that the US, France and Great Britain are bombing Libya, as well as there being a no-fly zone? Is that right? This is translated from Shqipe subtitles that was spoken in French on the news tonight…If anyone could update me on that situation… and Japan that would be amazing. It’s definitely strange being out of the country when you hear something like that.